httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: MaxRequestsPerChild and MaxKeepAliveRequests
Date Sat, 20 Mar 1999 20:28:23 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Recall that if we have MaxRequestsPerChild really be fixed to limit
> the max # of actual requests, we run into the case were we could
> overrule MaxKeepAliveRequests (say, for example, MaxKeepAliveRequests
> is set to 100, yet the child has only 25 requests "left". If we honor
> MaxRequestsPerChild we will stop a persistant connection "prematurely."

I believe that's our privilege.  When we accept a persistent connexion,
we inform the client of the *maximum* number of requests that can be
accepted on the connexion.  I'm not sure HTTP requires us to guarantee
that we will accept up to that number.

In any event, if the Connection response field on a persistent
connexion acceptance has the max attribute dynamically set to
min(requests-remaining,MaxKeepAliveRequests), the issue is solved.
Right now, with MaxKeepAliveRequests set to 100, we could end up
processing two orders of magnitude more requests than is intuitively
obvious.  I don't consider that good.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/