httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Wannamaker <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: NT multiple services patch
Date Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:48:13 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > wannamak@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > > This patch enables multiple servers on NT by providing a clean way to
> > > install, uninstall, and signal multiple services.  A server is referred to
> > > by either its service name or the full path to its configuration file.
> > >
> > > The following options were added or modified:
> > >
> > > -f [server]         : Force this Apache to use config of [server]
> > > -t [server]         : Test the config of [server]
> > > -i [name [server]]  : Install service "name" to use config [server]
> > > -u [name]           : Uninstall service "name"
> > > -k action [server]  : Signal running Apache [server] (console or service)
> > >                       action is (start|restart|shutdown)
> > >
> > > If server is not specified, Apache searches for it in this order:
> > >
> > > 1) ./SERVER_CONFIG_FILE
> > > 2) Registry:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Apache Group/Apache
> > > /[Version]/ConfPath
> > > 3) /HTTPD_ROOT/SERVER_CONFIG_FILE
> > >
> > > .. with the exception of -k, for which we add a step
> > > 1.5) Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Apache Group/Apache
> > > /[Version]/LastRun
> > >     (the confpath of the last Apache instance)
> > >
> > > If name is not specified with -i or -u, Apache uses the default ("Apache").
> >
> > I'm planning to commit this patch later today unless I hear objections.
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler just to have a new argument which specifies the
> service name, which could be used with any other the other options. E.g.
> (say using -n for this argument):
>
>   apache -n Apache
>   apache -n Apache2
>
> to start two copies of Apache, and
>
>   apache -n Apache -k shutdown
>   apache -n Apache2 -k shutdown

That's what the patch allows you to do, without the "-n".
With the patch, the syntax would be:

apache -k shutdown Apache or
apache -k shutdown (since "Apache" is the default)

apache -k shutdown Apache2

The patch allows you to interchange a service name or a config file path
for [server].

> If no -n option is given, default to "Apache" (the current setting).
>
> In the registry, simply add the "name" (as given by -n or defaulting to
> Apache) to the key, e.g:
>
>   HKLW/SOFTWARE/Apache Group/Apache/<version>/<name>

The patch stores the config file path in the registry
key under each service entry.

Since the patch does what you suggest, I'm not sure I understand.
Simpler from a coding perspective?

KW