httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2 mutiple pools feature request
Date Sat, 06 Mar 1999 03:12:38 GMT
Cliff Skolnick wrote:
> With 5000 web sites on a large server, I would have to run 5000 processes in
> your model all the time.  I would much rather the server see that this vhost
> gets it's own address space (process pool) and looks to see if there is an
> active process handling the pool.  If there is a process hand off the
> request, and if not fork() a process to handle the request.  The ability to
> fork multiple processes for a busy pool, and to reap inactive pools to zero
> processes would need to be a goal.

How about an adaptive method? All vhosts are in threads until a thread
kills the process. The monitor process restarts the process, but signals
that the vhost that killed the process should be process-based.

(this assumes that the status area is immune to process crashes)

Hmm. I guess you couldn't really tell which of the requests killed the
process. I'd say mark them all. Certainly, the monitor should log the
situation. After a pattern develops, the system administrator could
narrow down which vhost (and script!) is causing the damage.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/