httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: NSPR (was Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/pthreads/src/main http_main.c)
Date Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:11:09 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > Most of what we've done in the past month is not related to the
> > protability layer. If we do decide to go with NSPR, I strongly recommend
> > we NSPR'ize the pthreads port in the apache-apr reporitory. The pthreads
> > port in apache-apr is a functioning hybrid multi-process, multi-threaded
> > server. I'm not too keen on the accept queue, but with some fairly minor
> > changes, we can abstract it out and make it easy and clean to implement
> > other accept algorithms.  We've also been keeping it up to date with the
> > Apache 1.3 tree.
>
> Likewise, I'm not concerned about whether we use Dean's NSPR port, or wrap
> the existing stuff in apache-apr around NSPR.  Either way we end up at the
> right place.

apache-apr started out with Dean's work (sans the NSPR  calls). What we
have been doing for the last couple of months is build on top of what
Dean has already done. Dean's code implemented a threaded webserver. We
made it a hybrid process/threaded webserver and added back a lot of the
features found in Apache 1.3 (e.g., monitor process to restart failed
children, scoreboard, dynamically adjusting the number of child
processes based on server load, etc.).

I spent a week or so replicating Dean's work using pthreads out of a
current Apache 1.3 code tree. Without Dean's work as a guide, it would
have taken MUCH longer to establish the working base and we would not be
where we are today with apache-apr.

Dean deserves a ton of credit, perhaps even most of the credit, for
apache-apr.

BTW, NSPR has -not- be released under the new NPL (NPL 1.0M?). I think
the plan is to do it sometime toward the end of March.

--
Bill Stoddard
stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com