httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael H. Voase" <mvo...@midcoast.com.au>
Subject Re: Apache 2 mutiple pools feature request
Date Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:34:05 GMT
Can I make a segestion at this point in the discussion .

The topic of running multiple interpreters using seperately
configured http servers was something that spurred me into
kludging mod_cgi into mod_cgisock . When I looked into the
situation of running  mod_perl with apache , it sturck me
that seperating out the interpreter from the http server
would prevent the interpreter from wandering around in
apache's memory space possibly causing problems . Also if
one is using a language that is capable of implementing
unix domain sockets ( tcl and java notable exceptions ) one
can write seperate deamons to service http cgi requests .
Before anyone bites my head off , I am aware that cgisock
places a lot of limitations on what a cgi programmer can
and cannot do with their script but it does provide an
insulating layer between apache and the interpreter such
that it is difficult for a wayward script to cause
apache much grief . I am currently working on a cgisock
server wrapper for a perl interpreter written in C to
hide the more gruesome details of cgisock services from the
cgi programmer if they want that , however it is not a far
stretch of the imagination to implement a simmilar wrapper
for tcl,java,PHP,basic or whatever . The end result is that
one can run a http server without the need to
configure dynamically loaded modules or seperate builds
of apache and still retain a fairly modest memory footprint .
( the other bonus is a finer grain of control of how many
threads / processes per URL you want , independent of how
many http servers one is running )

While I have your ear for the moment , I am also looking for
comments on the concept of an interactive http connection that
can serve multiple sequential requests overs the single http
connection . It is an idea I am still trying to determine wether
it is worth persuing or dropping . The idea was raised a couple
of weeks ago on apache-modules and it is something that I think
can be implemented using using code from mod_cgi , mod_perl ,
mod_cgisock
and/or http_core . The original segestion was for an interactive
'shell' and I am wary of having a http connection wait around
for user input , however the idea of a browser polling serveral
requests down the same socket could provide interesting results .
If anyone has any comments on this topic or wishes to tell me
I am 're-inventing' the wheel again , all comments would be
gratefully welcome .

just a couple of thoughts anyway..

Cheers Mik Voase.

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> For what it's worth, the jserv developers have the same problem.  Of
> course, they have an advantage, in that their model is to run a backend
> daemon for java requests, and it's not difficult to configure more than
> one daemon running as different UID's.
>
> Formalizing this as something that Apache does makes some sense to me;
> e.g., having a standard interface to back-end daemons for launching (as
> root, setting to a particular UID) / restarting / killing, distributing
> requests, etc.  Maybe even a standard back-end protocol, like what jserv
> uses today.
>
> I'm sure the Perl folks would prefer to write their daemon in
> multithreaded Perl, and of course the jserv developers are already using a
> JVM for this, so I don't think we'd need to go so far as create daemon
> stub code or anything.  This would be a real boon to those people being
> asked to run PHP *and* jserv *and* mod_perl on their systems (like me at
> taz :) - instead of a mod_perl, mod_php and mod_jserv, we just have
> mod_relay which relays a compiled version of the request (or subrequest)
> to the backend daemon based on request parameters, and awaits the
> response.
>
> Yes, you have the IPC overhead, but on modern architectures that's less
> significant.  Or so I've been led to believe - the benchmarks out of
> mod_jserv are pretty nice.
>
> This is still relevant when we go multithreaded in 2.0, too.  It'll be
> nice to insulate the raw HTTP engine from dangerous code in dynamic
> content engines which may be less robust.
>
> Rasmus, what do you think?  I bet you could get started by writing
> something using the jserv protocol already :)
>
>         Brian

 /~\     /~\            CASTLE INDUSTRIES PTY. LTD.
 | |_____| |            Incorporated 1969. in N.S.W., Australia
 |         |            Phone +612 6562 1345 Fax +612 6567 1449
 |   /~\   |            Web http://www.midcoast.com.au/~mvoase
 |   [ ]   |            Michael H. Voase.  Director.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~          I wouldn't have Windoze for *nix .