httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dietz, Phil E." <PEDi...@West.com>
Subject RE: am I dreaming?
Date Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:40:18 GMT
It seems to me that the only requirement to accomplish binary module
compatibility, is to add a separate define MAGIC_DSO_VERSION.

That define would be set by Configure and would be independent for each OS
-- as some So will require DSO recompiles while other's wont.

Before a new apache release, a core member must validate the So
MAGIC_DSO_VERSION it can successfully run.

If a core member doesn't certify a DSO level before release, then the
MAGIC_DSO_VERSION will be incremented automatically.  Binary mods will be
forced to recompile.

As with any open-source, the people that hate recompiling binary mods will
join the Apache group to make sure the DSO testing for their OS is done to
their satisfaction next time.