httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Removing hard coded /bin/sh from top level Makefile
Date Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:53:49 GMT

In article <199903260154.MAA08256@silk.apana.org.au> you wrote:

> I tried using APACI configure on OS/2 and to my surprise it actually works
> without any changes. The only problem is that the top level Makefile contains
> a hard coded SHELL=/bin/sh which isn't the case on OS/2 so I'd like to make
> the following change if it looks ok to everyone.

The patch is fine, +1.

But a little bit of background: The reason why there is a hard-coded
SHELL=/bin/sh (and not just a SHELL=sh or no SHELL definition at all, etc.) is
because one has to make sure the commands are really run with the Bourne-Shell
and not with the shell of the user (perhaps a C-Shell). Because some Make
derivates try to run the commands with the shell of the current user. That's
why one usually hard-codes a SHELL=/bin/sh because that exists really on all
Unix platforms.  But ok, for OS/2 we should smooth the stuff and so your patch
is ok, because unless the users $PATH is totally messed up it still results in
a SHELL=/bin/sh on Unix.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com