httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: ATTENTION: Please stop breaking DSO compatibility
Date Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:02:29 GMT

In article <sa4bthjahqa.fsf@livesoftware.com> you wrote:

>[...]
> I propose that the logic here be changed to:
>     if (m->magic != MODULE_MAGIC_COOKIE) {
>
> This will allow modules from 1.3.4 to happily work under 1.3.6 and
> vice versa.  Then if the module structure is changed again (which
> should be avoided if at all possible) just change MODULE_MAGIC_COOKIE
> value.  This is what I thought the cookie was for in the first place
> and why the breakage in 1.3.3/1.3.4 compatibility didn't bother me so
> much.

No, MODULE_MAGIC_COOKIE is a static cookie we built into Apache 1.3 modules to
allow us to do an additional check when we load them as a DSO. But this check
has nothing to do with version control. That's why this is called just a magic
cookie and not magic version...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com