httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: take 2: new 1.3.6 tarball rolled
Date Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:40:13 GMT
On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 03:11:07PM +0100, R.J. Kraaij wrote:

> I did a totaly server install, so after going into the /src directory, to
> do ./configure, i did a make install, because i'm lazzy, and wanted to
> have the directory's created.

I assume you did a ./Configure ( not ./configure)!
As you can read in apache_1.3.6/README.configure *AS WELL AS*
in apache_1.3.6/INSTALL, the assumption is that you use
EITHER apache_1.3.6/configure (and have the possibility of "make
install" which the old method did not offer), OR the traditional
method in apache_1.3.6/src/Configure, but not both.

You tried the latter, and expected to have the advantages of the
further. Sorry, but I fear that apache currently doesn't support
that (and probably never will).

> more then logical, ofcourse, since i had to do ./configure first on that
> parent level also..
>
> It questioned my soul however :o)
>
> - either make the ++ comment some more informationfull, like as adding
> ++ (Don't forget to run ./configure inside parent)
>
> Or just, making a make install inside the src..

You are not expected to run both. The results will be unexpected,
because one overrides the settings of the other.

    Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@MchP.Siemens.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021               |        Communication  Products