httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: NSPR (was Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/pthreads/src/main http_main.c)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:39:48 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > So is the thread-vs-no_thread issue closer to dropping file-based scoreboards
> > or requiring mmap()? I _think_ it's closer to the former. I don't
> > see anything in the code that requires threads, but just code that
> > is "better" with threads. (of course, that's not quite right, because
> > if you try to build apache-apr right now without pthreads installed,
> > it'll fail. But I'm talking actual code-base).
>
> There is NOTHING in the code that absolutely requires threads, as soon as
> we abstract out the accept loop logic.  We are always linking against the
> pthreads library, but only because we are lazy people, and we wanted to
> get the threaded server working before we started making it truly
> configurable.  Sorry, we'll go hide our heads in shame now :)

Don't you dare. I have the hybrid running on one of our test FreeBSD
machines and it's quite nice. The whole apache-apr "suite" is very
good work, and I don't imply otherwise. I realize it's a work in
progress :)

> > As far as whether there are pieces that _should_ be required to use
> > threads, well, I feel unqualified to say.
>
> I don't think that there are ANY pieces that should be required to use
> threads.  With a good way to use A1.3 modules (the module daemon is an
> okay start I think)

What will be the true test is whether the performance hit of the
module daemon will cancel out any performance boosts of having a
threaded implementation. My gut feel is that it may be a wash.
Of course, with Manoj's benchmarks, maybe I'm wrong :) :)