httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: NSPR (was Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/pthreads/src/main http_main.c)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:12:42 GMT
Manoj Kasichainula writes:
> Also, since (AFAIK) NSPR provides a thread layer (user or system) on
> every platform it supports, do we even need to bother with coding for
> the case where we don't have threads available? We could just make sure
> that we allow for the use of user threads throughout.

Most apache modules are not going to work in a threaded server without
reimplementation.  Those projects are hard for three reasons.  The original
module authors have moved on.  The 3rd party libraries that these modules maybe
bridging to or leveraging probably don't support threads reliably if at all.
The learning curve for threaded module writing is bumpy.  It will make it very
hard for people to switch to A2 if we require them to adopt threads at the
same time.

The real question to ask ... Do we support backward compatiblity for existing

   - ben

View raw message