httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Charles Sliger" <c...@reliant.com>
Subject Re: encrypting passwords
Date Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:54:25 GMT
Yes, I am interested in both scenarios.
On the server, how would I programatically encrypt the
password?  htpasswd seems to require interaction.
-chaz

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
If you don't want passwords passed in the clear, then take a look at
"Digest authentication". It is handled by mod_digest on the server. You
may need to write your own client-side digest support (I think IE5
supports digest, tho).

I'm presuming you're talking about authenticating with the server,
rather than setting passwords on the server for future authentication.
If the latter, then you will want to use SSL to send the password to the
server.