httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <>
Subject Re: NSPR (was Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/pthreads/src/main http_main.c)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:28:00 GMT
On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 02:53:59AM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Likewise, I'm not concerned about whether we use Dean's NSPR port, or wrap
> the existing stuff in apache-apr around NSPR.  Either way we end up at the
> right place.

The possible use of NSPR brings up some interesting questions. First
of all, NSPR works on a certain subset of platforms, and that subset
is probably smaller than that of Apache 1.3. Is it a problem to drop
those platforms, or do we want to port NSPR to them? How much loss in
portability are we willing to give up?

Also, since (AFAIK) NSPR provides a thread layer (user or system) on
every platform it supports, do we even need to bother with coding for
the case where we don't have threads available? We could just make sure
that we allow for the use of user threads throughout.

Manoj Kasichainula -
IBM Apache Development Team

View raw message