httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Preliminary performance numbers from apache-pthreads
Date Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:36:18 GMT
One of the primary goals in building a hybrid multiprocess
multithreaded web server is to get increased scalability, so that we
can handle more concurrent requests.  So, we ran some preliminary
benchmarks to see if we were meeting our goals.

For testing, we used a server platform of a 166Mhz 604e PowerPC with
256MB of RAM running AIX 4.3.2. The server was hit with 2000
concurrent clients making persistant connections to the server. Each
connection consisted of loading a 1k file 3 times, with delays of
15-20 seconds between each request to keep the connection open for a
long time. This should simulate (in a much simplified way of course)
having a high-traffic server with a lot of modem-based users.

The hybrid server was configured with 256 threads per child process.

Here are some results:

apache-pthreads (hybrid server)
-------------------------------

Connections made during test: 40000
requests per second: 158.06
Failed requests: 70 (which all came from a single client machine)
System load: 28.67

apache 1.3.5-dev (process-based server)
---------------------------------------

Connections made during test: 17042
Requests per second: 32.42
Failed requests: 16002
System load: 231

As a subjective measure, while running the hybrid server, I was able
to telnet in to the server and do stuff, although it was naturally a
little bit slow.  While running the process-based server, there were
long streches of complete unusability.

--
Manoj Kasichainula - manojk@raleigh.ibm.com
IBM Apache Development Team