httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen C. Tweedie" <...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: OSDI paper - IO-Lite: A Unified I/O Buffering and Caching System
Date Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:18:41 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:31:01 -0800, jg@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys) said:

> For full benefits to be reaped, an application can use new system call
> interfaces that IO-Lite introduces.

> This has been implemented in FreeBSD... And, of course, it would be nice
> to have it in Linux as well, and for Apache to be able to take full
> advantage of IO-Lite.

Indeed.  Over LinuxWorld I spoke with Linus about the possibility of
adding raw IO to the kernel, and we ended up with a design which
separated out the actual IO from the business of setting up the user
space mappings by creating a separate abstraction layer describing the
physical memory into which the kernel can do the read or write.  This
already looks suspiciously like IO-Lite, especially if we make these
io_regions visible to user space.

--Stephen