httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCE: MM library, version 1.0b1
Date Sat, 13 Mar 1999 11:48:02 GMT

In article <7qlnh25von.fsf@rehab.in.aventail.com> you wrote:
> "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com> writes:
>
>> As you perhaps remember, one of my current projects is to add shared memory
>> pools to Apache 1.3. Because this would open a large scale of new
>> possibilities for module authors, especially for Doug, Rasmus and me.
>
> It would be really cool to build an ap_session_xxx layer on top of
> this. This is something I was about to do and would be most willing to
> help.

No, an ap_session_xxx layer shouldn't be built on top of the mm_xxx API. When
you want such things, it should be built on top of the regular Apache memory
pools, but the forthcoming shared pools for this. Because the memory pools
will already know how to use the MM library in the background for you, so why
shouldn't one directly use the MM library when an even more convinient way via
Apache pools exists? ;-)
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com