httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: ANNOUNCE: MM library, version 1.0b1
Date Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:55:42 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

>   Mutex/Semaphore:
>   o 4.2BSD-style flock() on temporary file
>   o SVR4-style fcntl() on temporary file
>   o SysV IPC semget()
>
> and send me your results.

One thing I noticed that if all 3 mutexes are available, fcntl()
will be chosen (since it's the last). The rub is that fcntl() is
slow and expensive (well, it _can_ be) on systems running NFS.
I would suggest the preferences be:

	semget()
	flock()
	fcntl()

thus fcntl() is chosen only as a last resort... Make sense?