httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Cliff Skolnick" <cl...@steam.com>
Subject RE: Apache 2 mutiple pools feature request
Date Sat, 06 Mar 1999 02:18:24 GMT

> Rather than trying to spawn the different httpd "pools" from a single
> invocation of the server, would having the single config file but with
> multiple invocations be good enough?

It would depend...  I think a major issue here is to be able to give a
virtual host it's own address space as apache moves to a multi-threaded
model.  As the use of modules like mod_php and mod_perl grows there would be
a risk of a bug that would bring down a whole bunch of threads and their
associated requests.  This would not be acceptable for a large ISP running a
shared server.  Even IIS4.0 will let you run certain sites in their own
address space, probably because of the real possibility of a buggy .asp page
taking down multiple requests.

With 5000 web sites on a large server, I would have to run 5000 processes in
your model all the time.  I would much rather the server see that this vhost
gets it's own address space (process pool) and looks to see if there is an
active process handling the pool.  If there is a process hand off the
request, and if not fork() a process to handle the request.  The ability to
fork multiple processes for a busy pool, and to reap inactive pools to zero
processes would need to be a goal.

Cliff