httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Apache 2 mutiple pools feature request
Date Mon, 01 Mar 1999 05:54:20 GMT
I have brought this up before.  But since development is fast and furious
right now, I thought I would restate it.

Many sites are running multiple httpd pools as different user id's these
days.  Many because I advised them to do so because it is the best way to
run an Apache/PHP or Apache/mod_perl server where you want to make sure
that different users writing PHP or mod_perl scripts can not step all over
each other.  Running PHP or Perl as a cgi under suExec is of course one
way, but you lose all the performance the module version.  PHP also has a
safe_mode feature, but it can be restrictive and confusing and I wouldn't
bet the farm on it.  This is one area where Alex Belits' fhttpd server is
very nice (www.fhttpd.org).

It would be nice if this could be specified from a single httpd.conf file
as opposed to forcing people to maintain multiple configuration files.

Something like:

User nobody
MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 20
StartServers 10
ThreadsPerServer 5
MaxClients 256

<Pool web1>
User web1
MinSpareServers 1
MaxSpareServers 2
StartServers 1
ThreadsPerServer 100
</Pool>

<Pool web2>
User web2
</Pool>

<VirtualHost My.Host>
ServerName My.Host
Pool web1
</VirtualHost>

Or I suppose you can just specify different user id's in the VirtualHost
blocks and figure it out from there, but it might be cleaner to have
distinct pool definition blocks.

-Rasmus