httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: help with Expat patch
Date Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:43:55 GMT
> This sets an odd precedence though.  Why doesn't the regex library that
> Apache includes come with a thin Apache API layer then?  If we are simply
> trying to solve the DSO issue just add a call to a dummy function like
> XML_GetErrorCode() during Apache startup.  That should force the linker to
> include it.  A "thin" Apache API layer worries me because when someone
> comes along and needs it (like the PHP module) chances are the API layer
> won't be complete enough to be useful.

Just an added note here.  Even if it was a complete API, I wouldn't use it
in PHP because when PHP is compiled as a CGI it needs to link in expat
itself and access it directly.  I'd feel silly doing:

  #if CGI
  XML_parse();
  #elif APACHE
  ap_XML_parse()
  #endif

everywhere when a straight call to XML_parse() would work in both cases.

-Rasmus