httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [APR] Universal return syntax
Date Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:33:22 GMT

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Eeeek! Maybe I missed the discussion... WHY does NSPR implement threads
> as fibers? Is it because many OS's don't have decent kernel thread
> implementations?

The NT-specific port of NSPR uses NT fibers to implement "NSPR threads"...
and it uses completion ports.  Both for speed.

NSPR threads themselves are co-operatively multitasked.  They have a
pthread port which multiplexes userland threads on top of pthreads... the
hybrid model similar to NT's fibers.  But this isn't the only choice, you
can go straight pthreads if you want, or straight userland threads.

Dean