httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject Re: Apache FAQ
Date Sat, 20 Feb 1999 08:43:01 GMT
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> According to Joshua Slive:
>
> >  http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/FAQ.html
> >  If someone would commit this, I would appreciate it.
>
> Done.

Woops.  Thanks for the commit, now here's one more to put back
a question that got lost in the shuffle.

*** FAQ.html.old        Sat Feb 20 00:27:21 1999
--- FAQ.html    Sat Feb 20 00:34:35 1999
***************
*** 1096,1101 ****
--- 1096,1139 ----
     <HR>
   </LI>

+  <LI><A NAME="redhat">
+       <STRONG>I'm using RedHat Linux and I have problems with httpd
+       dying randomly or not restarting properly</STRONG>
+      </A>
+
+   <P>
+   RedHat Linux versions 4.x (and possibly earlier) RPMs contain
+   various nasty scripts which do not stop or restart Apache properly.
+   These can affect you even if you're not running the RedHat supplied
+   RPMs.
+   </P>
+   <P>
+   If you're using the default install then you're probably running
+   Apache 1.1.3, which is outdated.  From RedHat's ftp site you can
+   pick up a more recent RPM for Apache 1.2.x.  This will solve one of
+   the problems.
+   </P>
+   <P>
+   If you're using a custom built Apache rather than the RedHat RPMs
+   then you should <CODE>rpm -e apache</CODE>.  In particular you want
+   the mildly broken <CODE>/etc/logrotate.d/apache</CODE> script to be
+   removed, and you want the broken <CODE>/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd</CODE>
+   (or <CODE>httpd.init</CODE>) script to be removed.  The latter is
+   actually fixed by the apache-1.2.5 RPMs but if you're building your
+   own Apache then you probably don't want the RedHat files.
+   </P>
+   <P>
+   We can't stress enough how important it is for folks, <EM>especially
+   vendors</EM> to follow the <A HREF="../stopping.html">stopping Apache
+   directions</A> given in our documentation.  In RedHat's defense,
+   the broken scripts were necessary with Apache 1.1.x because the
+   Linux support in 1.1.x was very poor, and there were various race
+   conditions on all platforms.  None of this should be necessary with
+   Apache 1.2 and later.
+   </P>
+   <HR>
+  </LI>
+
   <LI><A NAME="stopping">
        <STRONG>I upgraded from an Apache version earlier
        than 1.2.0 and suddenly I have problems with Apache dying randomly