httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: mod_status.c
Date Thu, 04 Feb 1999 02:03:42 GMT
On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
> > > Maybe we need an API so people can write their favourite mod_status page
> > > style templates :-)  Sounds like a job for PHP.
> >
> > Although I think making the mod_status page pretty is a rather useless
> > thing to do, the idea of somehow making the information on it available to
> > a module is interesting.
>
> Committing to make the scoreboard portable, and the interface public is
> not at all a good idea.

Seems to me this is a good use for layared filters (*grin*), and fits in
well with the content/module model for A2 that we've talked about. The
status data store can produce something along the lines of what the
current ?auto generates, but with complete information. Then people can
write content filters that rewrite this data as pretty HTML stuff, all
they want, without having to know anything at all about the scoreboard and
how it's stored or whatever.

> Contrast the old-style ps which mucked around in /dev/kmem, and the newer
> styles which use /proc.  It's pretty much the same problem.

Pretty much the same solution, too :)