httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: manual-index-search
Date Fri, 26 Feb 1999 00:50:27 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> So we currently have two search systems on apache - the search.apache.org
> portion and the "manual-index.cgi" that Ken created before the former was
> in existance.  The only place that links to manual-index.cgi is the top
> page of the manual.  I'd be eager to remove it if only to reduce
> redundancy, I don't see anything that manual-index.cgi provides over
> search.apache.org.  Comments?  Don't take it personally, Ken :)

I have no objection -- except that I'd like to consider adapting
it (the dumber one, mine ;-) to something that can be distributed
as part of the kit.  We've received numerous requests for this,
primarily from people who install into disconnected intranets,
but I've never gotten around to doing anything about.  The
biggest obstacle is that it's Perl-based, and would require
the destination system to have: Perl, a known URI path to the
docs, a known path to the script itself, and the appropriate
AllowOverride settings.  But now that we're making install-time
changes, this is probably a good opportunity for this.

So +1 for having it off the Apache site, and +1 to munging
it to work with a local installation.
--
#ken	P-)}