httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: help with Expat patch
Date Tue, 09 Feb 1999 07:05:18 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > Ralf wrote:
> > >
> > > Just putting in Expat as a library is not enough. What you should do is to
> > > additionally provide a thin Apache layer on top if it which is part of the
> > > core code, i.e. some ap_expat_xxxx() functions which call the expat functions.
> > > This has two benefits: It's a clean API where we can get control between
> > > modules and expat and it solves the DSO problem you mentioned.
> >
> > This sets an odd precedence though.  Why doesn't the regex library that
> > Apache includes come with a thin Apache API layer then?
>
> I tend to agree. We have 'ap_' layers to protect name-space as well
> as ease things when doing cross-plaform implementations. If Expat is
> a top-level library (ala regex or bind) then putting a "thin" layer
> above it seems in-elegant and possibly troublesome.

All right... I've heard a few viewpoints, but now what? :-)

Off-list, I've discussed with Rasmus about sharing mod_dav's XML
processing with PHP. He's into it, and we're talking about it with PHP's
XML guy (Stig Bakken). I'd say we have a good chance of following
through with that. If that happens, then I might state that empirical
evidence says that more than Expat can be handy...

Should I redo the patch using Rasmus' idea of simply calling an
arbitrary function to get it linked in? Quite happy to!

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/