httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: APR Error Protocol - take 2.
Date Mon, 01 Feb 1999 20:18:34 GMT
I personally consider errno to be evil, almost entirely
because of the locality and reentrancy issues.  And someone
(Lars?  Martin?) commented on the APR draft not mentioning
pools.

These two may actually be related.  When we were discussing
a lot of the stuff that went into the draft, we acknowledged
that pools are necessary, crucial, central, whatever you want
to call them.  One of the things we talked about (it was my
POV, so I'm fuzzy on the alternatives discussed ;-) involved
wrapping a pool within some sort of APR-specific context
structure.  The context would be created by a 'apr_begin()'
call, and destroyed by an 'apr_end()' call.  Destroying a
context would trigger the usual pool semantics (destruction
of subcontexts, cleanup activations, ...).

The context structure would be passed around by pointer, and some
fields within it could be public or could be accessed
through some sort of method interface.  Contexts could have
child contexts, and so on.

The errno concept could be fit in as a field in the context
structure.  Using a more-general structure than just a *pool
allows us to add things like buffering defaults for files
popened() with that context, or the bounded/unboundedness of
the pool, or signal handlers, or whatever.

I think that's enough to start discussion..
--
#ken	P-)}