httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Dietz, Phil E." <PEDi...@West.com>
Subject RE: simple change
Date Fri, 05 Feb 1999 15:07:44 GMT
Sorry for the lack of details.

SetNote will let you set variables inside of the r->notes area instead of
the r->subprocess_env area.

The reason I want this is so I can assign "global values" for my various
custom apache modules and for custom logging.

For instance:
		SetNote UNIT   linux5
		CustomLog "%{UNIT}n"
		SetNote SHOW_FOOTERS	 y

I could accomplish the smae thing with 'SetEnv' but the problem with that is
that the vars get stuck into
the CGI environment.  Then I'll have programmers doing naughty things and
doing things like:

	if $UNIT == "iwww5" {
		echo "I'm doing unexpected things now."
	}

The notes mechanism provides a way to configure my apache modules and custom
logging without worry what the programmer will have access to.

mod_log_config.c already has an option to log notes.
Now it would be nice if us web designers could put data in the notes area to
log it.