httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Charles Sliger" <c...@reliant.com>
Subject Re: MinSpareServers
Date Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:13:04 GMT

In testing the MinSpareServers directive I have found the
server to be inconsistent.

The test consists of spawning the httpd server,
waiting 30 seconds to allow it to create its children,
and then counting the number of processes returned by
the ps command that contain the pid stored in the
httpd.pid file created by the master httpd process.

I tried increasing the wait time from 10 to 20 and
then from 20 to 30 seconds with no improvement.

Wait Time (sleep) = 30

MaxSpareServers   = 12

MinSpareServers  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
Process Count:   6  6  6  6  6  7  9  9  13

-chaz

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
I don't see what the problem is... this looks totally correct.
You're counting the parent as well as the children.  There's always one
extra "httpd".
You also need to read up on the StartServers parameter.
Dean

That does not explain why MinSpareServers=7 gets me 2 extra
processes, and MinSpareServers=9 gets me 4 extra processes.
-chaz