httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: help with Expat patch
Date Mon, 08 Feb 1999 07:12:57 GMT

In article <36BD8C5E.334B1627@lyra.org> you wrote:

> It appears to be working fine, with all the fancy RULE stuff (so I can
> have RULE_EXPAT=yes in my libdav.module). (of course, suggestions for
> change are welcome :-)

> However, if I compile mod_dav as a dynamically-loaded module, then it
> won't load, because it can't find the Expat symbols. (sigh)  I know this
> has to do with order of loading or maybe that the Expat stuff didn't get
> pulled into httpd (no ref to it from there).

Just putting in Expat as a library is not enough. What you should do is to
additionally provide a thin Apache layer on top if it which is part of the
core code, i.e. some ap_expat_xxxx() functions which call the expat functions.
This has two benefits: It's a clean API where we can get control between
modules and expat and it solves the DSO problem you mentioned.

II:
> also, my patch to Configuration.apaci seemed to have disappeared. It
> added a "Rule EXPAT=no" in there with a bit of doc. Looks like that file
> gets rewritten from somewhere?

Configuration.apaci is _generated_ by APACI on-the-fly. Your
patch should be applied to Configuration.tmpl, of course.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com