httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject [STATUS] (apache-apr) Sun Feb 7 23:45:53 EST 1999
Date Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:45:57 GMT
Apache Portable Runtime STATUS:
Last modified at [$Date: 1999/02/06 08:01:16 $]

Release:

    0.1  : In pre-alpha development

Plan:

    Everyone discuss and wrangle out the issues on new-httpd,
    and commit changes as appropriate.

Showstoppers:
Committed Code Changes:

    . docs/ directory created and initial function pre-spec added
    . include/ directory created and start of APRStatus macros added
    . pthreads/ directory tree created and populated with latest
      work on Apache 1.3.5-dev port to pthreads inserted

Available Patches:
In progress:
    Signal Handling
        Investigate signal handling in Apache-pthreads.  Currently, we kill
        the process when we encounter SIGPIPE, obviously bad.

    Modules
        Ensure thread safety.  Does not include mod_proxy, yet.

    Scoreboard
	Resign the scoreboard appropriately for a hybrid process web
	server. This includes adding a tid field to the scoreboard.

    Process/thread management
        Put (back) in the logic to manage the number of processes.
	Managing threads per process other than with a configuration
	constant is in doubt.

    Everything

Needs patch:

Open issues:

  * Whether every APR routine should return a status code
  * What the status codes should look like
  * Various modules aren't pthreads-ready (mod_cgi)
  * Bringing in the libap stuff
  * Bringing this code up-to-date with the changes in the 1.3 branch.
    The trees appear to have diverged in November(?!)

  * Mod_proxy
  * Timeouts.  (only soft timeouts)
  * Check misc thread safety.  Make sure UNIX code path mirrors NT path.
  * Optimize Optimize Optimize

  FEATURE SET FOR APR

Closed issues:
    Accept Serialization
        Implemented as a blocking queue.  1 accept thread passes connection
        to queue (size of queue is config directive, default # of threads).
        All other threads block on queue.
    Process/Thread hybridization
        put monitor process back into place.  Was removed for initial port,
	it's time we make sure the server is running, and if not, start
	it again.