httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [APR] Universal return syntax
Date Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:30:33 GMT
Bill Stoddard writes:
>Eeeek! Maybe I missed the discussion... WHY does NSPR implement threads
>as fibers? Is it because many OS's don't have decent kernel thread
>implementations?

People I trust have told me that an NT thread is a very heavy weight
object, with a substantial memory hit for each one.  So if you write
applications with many many threads, say Java programs, you want to
avoid using them.  The existence of fibers in the NT API would seem
to suggest that somebody at Microsoft wanted something lighter weight
badly enough to force the OS guys to implement them.

The only thing I see threads giving us that fibers don't is compiler
support for thread local storage.

  - ben