httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: incorporating? (was: Copyright & donating code)
Date Tue, 26 Jan 1999 02:12:18 GMT

> My suggestion is that everyone please STOP making any further responses on
>  this thread, since it is obvious that it is going nowhere.  I just got
>  back from a few days snowshoeing to find this nonsensical thread
>  accomplishing nothing because the person doing all the questioning doesn't
>  even know what he is asking about.  I will make a few comments, then I'm
>  not posting any more unless it significantly changes from the state of
>  uselessness it is in right now.

Sorry you are bored with it but to those of us who USE your product
it's actually pretty fascinating.

It was NEWS to me that Apache was about go 'corporate'. Even if it's
'not for profit' it doesn't take a rocket scentist to realize that
it's bound to change SOMETHING about the way Apache works...
and that's NEWS for those of us who make plans about whether
or not we want to use your product.

I have a news flash for you all. Most people don't use Apache because
it's 'kick-ass' software. Usually the only ass it kicks is your own when
you weed through the piss-poor documentation and then get beat
up on user-groups and you still aren't sure how it works.

No... people use it because it's FREE and ( for a long time ) it was
the ONLY thing that even worked. You can get used to Malaria.

Don't get me wrong... after 4 or 5 years the code actually works and
doesn't crash like it used to... It really does do the job most of the time...
and it's still FREE! Cool!

The whole thread relates back to the guy who has been asking
legitimate questions about 'contributing' code and GNU license(s)
and all that...

Now all of a sudden we are told that 'Apache is changing'.
Some of the thread says 'it's changing but it won't change'.

What does that mean?

Points that really need to be answered before thread dies...

1. Will this incorporation be 'for profit' or 'not for profit'?
2. If 'not for profit' then will Apache have a TAX ID NUMBER and can
    we all at least get a TAX BREAK if we donate time, money or
    code to 'The Apache Foundation'? That will be COOL!
3. WHEN is this supposed to happen? EXACTLY WHEN?
    Before 2.0? After 2.0? During 2.0?

People who use your product really deserve to know.

View raw message