httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: 1.3.4 Tarball
Date Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:25:17 GMT
> > Ok, but what I meant was that the check in ap_add_module() should have
> > seen the discrepancy between the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR in the new
> > Apache binary vs. the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR compiled into the module
> > when it was compiled.
>
> But this check works only on the "struct module_struct" (which is in
> mod_php3.c which in turn _was_ recompiled). But the request_rec
> is part of the libmodphp3.a which is compiled at a totally different
> directory.

Ah..  Right.  libmodphp3.a (and thus libphp3.a) does pull in the Apache
headers when it is compiled.  It would be simple to have mod_php3.c call a
function in the library to verify that at least the
MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR versions match.  We'd obviously only want this
during the module initializer (php3_init_handler).  As people slowly
migrate to Apache 1.3.4 I can see people getting hit by this.  In fact,
now that I think about it, I had a weird SEGV as well that I blamed on
some code I was hacking.  After a make clean of both trees and a cvs
update it fixed itself.  Anyway, do you think that would be an appropriate
safeguard to toss in?

-Rasmus