httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@awe.com>
Subject [Win32] CGI batch file problem?
Date Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:02:30 GMT
Erm, something seems to be up with CGI execution of batch files, unless
I'm doing something strange.

Here is what I did:

 - Create a file called 1.bat, containing just the line

echo HelloDown

 - Put that into a script-aliased directory
 - Request it:

-----

% telnet winnt 8080
GET /cgi-bin/1.bat HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 19:54:15 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.5-dev (Win32)
Connection: close

d:\apache\cgi-bin>echo HelloDown
HelloDown
Connection closed by foreign host.

------

Look, it showed me the full path of the file directory (!), what it was
executing and the results. So the output is consistent with a batch file
that doesn't start @echo off, but where Apache doesn't parse the scriput
output. Adding @echo off makes things work as expected (i.e. in this case,
get a 500 server error because of premature end of headers).

I would look into this more, but it is the end of the day and if this is
reproducable it looks like a serious problem so I though I'd mail it now.

Paul

PS the test comes from PR#3574, with a different result (submitter says it
"kills" Apache 1.3.2). I didn't expect it to, but I did expect it to give
a 500 server error.