httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src Configure
Date Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:31:27 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > Nope. The below is the SAFEST method for handling possible-NULL
> > shell variables. It is THE recommended way for avoiding the problem.
> >
> Ben's reverse of one of the changes when the test string is "-whatever"
> does make sense, since if the [] is implemented as test then it
> _could_ cause problems. If anymore like this exist, I'll adjust those
> as well.

OK, let me summarize this then:

- you and others can't agree on "x" vs. "."
- so you figure that eliminating them both resolves the issue, and your
manual says that neither should be required
- however every other piece of free software uses "x" (or something like
it), and must do it for some reason
- folks have demonstrated that in some cases it's necessary
- you're now willing to take the chance that you're not going to screw up
and forget a "x" or "." where it's required

i.e. because of a stupid style debate you've now weakened the product.

Sorry, but that's a big fat -1 from me, and I'll back it out myself.

Dean