httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: mass vhosting, was Re: [STATUS] (apache-1.3) Sun Jan 3 23:45:22 EST 1999
Date Thu, 07 Jan 1999 20:18:59 GMT

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Martin Pool wrote:

> Why is it necessary to copy the Directory structures for each vhost?
> Couldn't global <Directory> configs just be shared across all of them?

It isn't necessary -- and they aren't copied... or at least they're not
supposed to be that I can remember.  Looking at the code it doesn't look
like it copies them, it copies pointers to the directory structures, but
doesn't copy the structures themselves.

There's essentially no "copy this dir/vhost config" primitive in the
module interface, so it'd be like totally impossible to copy things.
There's only "create a new dir/vhost config" and "merge these two
dir/vhost configs".  And no, it doesn't create a new and merge to do a
"copy".

But if you use the srm.conf or access.conf files, there is some crap that
happens -- I just suggest not using them.  It rereads those files for each
vhost or some other such silliness.  So if the dir sections were in one of
those files, then yeah it'd be duplicated.

Dean