httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: [APR] Universal return syntax
Date Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:54:26 GMT
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> One of the aspects of the current APR proposal in apr-function.txt
> is a strict requirement that *all* APR functions return a
> status value (i.e., be declared as returning APRStatus).  This will
> mean lots of 'char **' arguments for string-related operations,
> such as those already in libap.
>
> I rather expect this to be the source of some discussion.  Anyone
> want to open the ball? :-)  I'm personally in favour of everything
> returning a status value..

Well, it's a nice idea, although sometimes it's nice to have a return
value that's useful at the moment. And you'd always have to check the
return value, which is a pain. So I propose we switch to C++ and use
exceptions ;)

Or Java.

Heck, let's just rewrite the whole server in Lisp.

Ada.

Fortran.

BASIC.

INTERCAL.