httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: more wacky A2 ideas
Date Mon, 04 Jan 1999 23:37:23 GMT
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > I suppose... that might not be a bad idea; splitting the data store into
> > two sections, in (possibly) different modules: one that determines which
> > object in the data store the request refers to, and the other that
> > actually delivers it. Hmm.
>
> Not just which object, but other aspects (such as what configuration
> applies, who owns it, etc and blah).

Right. That's what I meant: "Everything except the part where the data
store writes the data out to the stream." The equivilent in A1 of the
'handler' phase, I imagine.

> > > I'm noticing a trend in your snipping, BTW - you seem to be avoiding
> > > anything that leads towards inheritence - I think that is a mistake.
>
> Well, one view is that CGIs and files inherit from an abstract
> "hierarchical" type. Multiple inheritance may be needed to make this
> useful, though... hmmm...

Interesting idea. It could provide another way to handle the CGI/file
problem - rather than seperating out the data store functions as described
above, the CGI data store could just inherit from the file data store, and
override the content delivery (handler) method.

I like that...