httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: more wacky A2 ideas
Date Mon, 04 Jan 1999 23:34:00 GMT
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Konstantin Chuguev wrote:

> IMO, there should be an abstract data store layer (module), offering
> direct and/or sequential access to the raw data.

While this seems plausable at first, I don't think it would necessarily
work out. The requirements quickly become too complex and specific to
individual data stores. Making an API (as Ben suggested) to allow the
seperation of delivery of a resource from the location of that resource,
but where the two processes are tied to the same data store.

The main application of what you propose - access to streamed data (either
in entirety or partial) from a data store - is already made available in
the A2 plans via filters or sub-requests (which, unlike A1, will I imagine
be readable by the module instead of being shunted directly to the
output). And 'raw' access to the data store requires knowledge of the data
store, so we may as well integrate them.