httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: more wacky A2 ideas
Date Mon, 04 Jan 1999 00:53:56 GMT
On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Ben Laurie wrote:

> OK, I get that. Isn't the solution to seperate LRI metadata from LRI
> data? So CGI and file share (some) metadata but have there own way of
> deriving content.

I suppose... that might not be a bad idea; splitting the data store into
two sections, in (possibly) different modules: one that determines which
object in the data store the request refers to, and the other that
actually delivers it. Hmm.

> I'm noticing a trend in your snipping, BTW - you seem to be avoiding
> anything that leads towards inheritence - I think that is a mistake.

Well, I'm not doing it intentionally, I promise. I like inheritence.
Really. Nearly all the code I've written in the last year has been object
oriented code (C++, Java and Perl 5). I'm just not sure where
inheritence fits into this. Could you elucidate?

[...]

> I'm trying hard not to mention C++ here.... :-) (and, seriously, this
> kind of inheritance should not be linked with C++ - we're talking about
> a more limited kind of object-orientation).

I seem to recall the proper language term for classes that have
inheritence without polymorphism as being 'object-based'. But that could
be wrong.