httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/os/win32 mod_isapi.c
Date Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:22:26 GMT
On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >Except that a module may not include ap_compat.h, so wouldn't pick up that
> >change. A minor MMN bump really is in order, to allow a module to be
> >source compatible with both earlier and later versions of Apache.
>
> Earlier and later versions of what????  Hell, Alexei, we haven't even
> released a version of Apache that contained the minor number, nor is
> it conceivable that someone authored a module that needed to know the
> difference between 19990106 and 19990108.  Just forget about it.

Are you trying to say that we only need to make, at most, one minor or
major change per release?  That seems to be what you are saying.
Otherwise, we need to have a somewhat more specific guideline for just how
long is "too" long.

Are you saying that if module authors want to have their module compile
properly on development versions then they have to make up their own
system of figuring out versioning since the MMN won't be changed?