httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Copyright & donating code
Date Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:22:46 GMT
>The question is what are your requirements for copyright and license?
>Do you require all of your code to be under the Apache copyright etc.?
>Is joint copyright acceptable? If we gave the code to you with a BSD-
>style license (perhaps without the advertising clause) is that OK?

Any BSD-style license is fine, but that isn't the same as giving the
code to us.  I can't give you a definitive answer on this stuff because
we haven't decided on a general policy (another thing waiting for
incorporation to be done), but there are three possibilities:

  1) Make the code public domain or assign copyright to the Apache Group

     This allows us to distribute the code under the Apache Group
     copyright and license.  This doesn't mean that we'll take it.
     We require that there be someone willing to maintain the module
     on the new-httpd list before we will distribute it with Apache.

  2) Keep copyright under your/company name with a BSD-style license
     that allows commercial and non-commercial use.

     The Apache license is just a refined version of the BSD-style,
     so this allows the module to be redistributed by us without
     impacting our license.  Again, this doesn't mean we'll take it,
     and it still would require someone here to maintain it.  Also,
     we won't bother redistributing it unless there is some well-defined
     need which makes it more significant than other 3rd-party modules.

  3) Use any license you like and distribute it as a 3rd-party module.

These possibilities are for separate files.  Patches to our existing
files are only accepted as option 1.

....Roy