httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: why not log request time?
Date Thu, 07 Jan 1999 02:56:38 GMT
>Dude, why the hell did you use such a lame format??  A simple record
>seperator would have been sooooooo nice!

Beats me -- there was considerable preference for not changing it much
from the NCSA httpd 1.1 format.  I wish I had saved the mail discussion.
I don't think we ever talked about the record separator, except for
the use of "-" for undefined fields.  We almost defined a configurable
format, but there were too many variables to make a decision.
Hmmm, I wonder if Kevin Hughes saved all his old mail?  Aww, cripes,
www.webhistory.org seems to be dead too.

>Anyhow, that's the reason that I've always seen used for the silliness of
>logging the current time rather than the request time.  If it's not the
>real reason, then lets change it.
>
>I suspect another reason is that dumb log programs wouldn't like to see
>vastly out of order times... which is what you'd get logging the
>request_time (also what you get with BUFFERED_LOGS).

I think it was just habit.  I didn't even know we weren't logging
request_time until it showed up in a report about ad server discrepencies.

....Roy