httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cransto...@aol.com
Subject Re: incorporating? (was: Copyright & donating code)
Date Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:34:44 GMT
In a message dated 1/24/99 8:53:33 AM MST, gstein@lyra.org writes:

<< Oh: and I will mention one thing to the Apache Group: even a non-profit
 can do some BAD things to open source code. Non-profit doesn't
 necessarily mean "no revenue." What happens 20 years down the line when
 the new CEO of the Apache Group, Inc. wants to establish corporate
 headquarters in Manhattan? Oh, and then of course, there will be the
 commercial version of Apache so that the derived revenue can pay for the
 headquarters and the staff of 43... Be careful :-) >>

My sentiments exactly. I'm pleasantly surprised. I was really expecting some
serious flaming, maybe it's yet to come ;-)

Your absolutely right about the CEO of Apache coming up with a different
viewpoint than the original founders. Even the fact about retaining lawyers is
a huge pain. Can't live without them, can't live without them.

Everything has to be approved before release etc., and that has nothing to do
with whether or not the code is even working properly.

Question. Does the Apache group have a bank account?, and if so who is
accountable?

Open source is great, free code is great, but someone has to do some
reconciliation.

Apache with the right management team in place could be the dominant force in
the web server business. By dominant I mean 85% plus. People who use IIS
simply remove the software and install Apache because it is SO much better.

Here's how you do it. Get the top 10 Apache guys, organize them with decent
salaries and give them one objective, TAKE NO PRISIONERS. Nothing motivates
like success, and $$$. We are all capitalists at heart.

Bottom line, either stay the same, or organize and rule. Gates DID it, Apache
can to. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.

I like many others read the Halloween memo. Gates is only worried in the short
term. Long term he knows he can win, he has proven it time and time again. How
does he do it. Superior management NOT superior code.

I have a healthy respect for Apache and there core programmers, but their
résumé's all state, Position: Programmer, not management.

My advice, if you turn into a corporation, hire the best. As someone once
said, if you think knowledge is expensive, wait and see how much ignorance
costs you!

Yours sincerely,

Peter J. Cranstone
Cranstone@RemoteCommunications.com