httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject C++
Date Fri, 29 Jan 1999 21:21:46 GMT

My guess would be that taking a mature C program and trying to revamp it to
work in a C++ model is more work and more heartache/madness than simply
writing a new one in C++ from scratch, borrowing liberally perhaps from
other sources, but still a separate development effort.

In fact, I seem to recall Ben Laurie starting up a mailing list to focus on
a C++ rewrite of Apache - Ben, is that list still around?

My personal opinion is that C++ is a frankenstein of a language, and if I
were going to take the time to write a new web server with OO in mind, I'd
do it first in Java, and then code up native methods for any
performance-critical components, such as I/O or regex comparisons, that a
profiling tool shows to be bottlenecks.

	Brian

History is made at night;                         brian@hyperreal.org
  character is what you are in the dark.