httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: mass vhosting, was Re: [STATUS] (apache-1.3) Sun Jan 3 23:45:22 EST 1999
Date Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:05:16 GMT
At 04:27 PM 1/4/99 +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
>I have a text file (below) which I'll HTMLise if you like it. A couple
>of the examples are derived from
>http://www.engelschall.com/pw/apache/rewriteguide/

This is really good; if you HTMLize it I'll commit it next to the other
vhost documentation.

>Would it be sensible to force hostnames and ServerNames to be all
>lower case? It would make handling this sort of thing slightly simpler
>:-)

Yep, sounds good to me.  Some comments...

>A couple of things need to be `faked' to make the dynamic virtual host
>look like a normal one. The most important is the ServerName, and the
>way it is determined is controlled by the UseCanonicalName directive.
>With UseCanonicalName off the ServerName comes from the contents of
>the Host: header in the request. If there is no Host: header then the
>configured ServerName is used instead; this can be used to provide a
>default virtual host which might allow backwardly compatible access to
>the dynamic virtual hosts.

There are lots of hidden problems with trying to do that though; forcing
non-'/'-rooted relative pathnames in all your HREF links is one, but I'm
sure there are other more subtle ones, and ServerPath does a good job at
addressing it, but still I worry about "new feature pressure" that such a
suggestion might entail.  I don't think it'd be unreasonable to suggest
instead that non-Host:-header browsers are just out of luck.  I mean, what
are we talking about here?  netscape pre-2.0, msie pre-3.0, lynx pre-2.4,
what else?  I can't imagine it's more than 2% of traffic this days.  All
I'm addressing here is the recommendation that would be in this doc.

I'm sure the #1 question people will have after they implement it is, "I
want to set 'Redirect /blah /blah' for a certain vhost.  How do I do that
under this system?" which I guess the answer to is "two ways: do an
explicit <VirtualHost> section, or use a .htaccess in that vhost's dir."

	Brian

History is made at night;                         brian@hyperreal.org
  character is what you are in the dark.