httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: C++
Date Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:17:08 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> My guess would be that taking a mature C program and trying to revamp it to
> work in a C++ model is more work and more heartache/madness than simply
> writing a new one in C++ from scratch, borrowing liberally perhaps from
> other sources, but still a separate development effort.
>
> In fact, I seem to recall Ben Laurie starting up a mailing list to focus on
> a C++ rewrite of Apache - Ben, is that list still around?

The list is, but there ain't no-one talking :-)

> My personal opinion is that C++ is a frankenstein of a language, and if I
> were going to take the time to write a new web server with OO in mind, I'd
> do it first in Java, and then code up native methods for any
> performance-critical components, such as I/O or regex comparisons, that a
> profiling tool shows to be bottlenecks.

I've yet to understand how people can think C++ is bad and yet still
think Java is good. If you promise to only ever use pointers in C++ you
can hardly see the difference. Except you don't get templates in Java so
you have all the crappy runtime type-checking.

Don't get me wrong. I like Java. But I like C++, too. Horses for
courses.

Cheers,

Ben.

--