httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [APR] Comments to proposed function interface
Date Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:36:11 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > If anyone is expecting sizes to be portable in C they've clearly got no
> > clue at all! Just coz Java has the luxury don't think you can have it
> > elsewhere.
>
> Indeed; which is why I'd like a lot of things explicitly sized,
> rather than defaulting to the architecture's native width.  How
> big's an int?  Typedef the int-line entity to 32 bits and don't worry
> about it.

An int is sufficiently big to hold the difference between two related
pointers. I thought everyone knew that. :-)

Seriously, explicit sizing has a place, but not much of one. Most things
need to be the "right" size for the thing they refer to. E.g. pid_t is
the right size for a PID, not a particular number of bits.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html