httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: incorporating? (was: Copyright & donating code)
Date Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:41:32 GMT
Cranstone1@aol.com wrote:

> Let me give you an example. I watched the recent update to mod_negotiation by
> the gentleman from CERN. My first question is, "Was a vote taken to include
> this new patch?". I don't believe it was, and from the threads it has caused
> one or two conflicts. Now my second question, "Was this patch thoroughly
> tested before the release of 1.3.4?" Kind of rhetorical because if it had of
> been then Roy and the gentleman from CERN would not be in a big debate as to
> the merits of it's problems.

I'm not wearing my AG hat at the moment, either.  If you're suggesting
there was anything irregular about how that change was made, you don't
understand how the Apache development process works.  If you mean
to imply that it should have been done differently, then I have two
questions: How; and why do you think so?  A third -- why should the
AG listen to you -- is irrelevant; this is a meritocracy, and if your
explanations are compelling enough you will acquire the merit necessary
for your opinion to be considered and valued.

> Do you really want to sit on a board of directors? Are you even qualified to
> sit on a board of directors? If you think this is "nasty" question, it's the
> same as me if I am qualified to be a programmer.

But no-one's asking *you* whether you want to be or are qualified
to be a programmer.  Asking a question you acknowledge may be
nasty, and trying to defuse it by saying it would be just as nasty
if turned around, is a debating trick.  A more appropriate question
to ask you would be: Are you even qualified to consider our
qualifications as directors?  But I'm not asking it, so let's
let this particular area drop.

>                                                              Board members are
> core to the success of a company. They are comprised of thoughtful,
> intelligent people from different walks of life with a bunch of experience.
> They are there to be the conscience of the company to help direct it and the
> CEO. The most important thing to a CEO and the Board members is the
> SHAREHOLDERS. NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING else matters.

Perhaps in your view, and when applied to a company with shares.
However, what is the overriding concern for a corporation that
*doesn't* have shares?  Perhaps quality and customer satisfaction?
Are you suggesting that those aren't concerns for us at the moment?
--
#ken	P-)}