httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [APR] Comments to proposed function interface
Date Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:30:49 GMT
Martin Kraemer wrote:

> > > 001  SUCCESS
> > > 000  INFO
> > > 111  WARNING
> > > 110  ERROR
> > > 101  FATAL
>
> I think that 7 > 5 (WARNING > FATAL ?!?!?)
> Erm... Does my math knowledge leave me here? Do you PDP fans suggest that
> 1 < 0 < 7 < 6 < 5 ? That was what I meant with "ordering". Just throwing
> unique numbers about in a higgledy piggledy fashion isn't what I
> understand easily. Please explain again (slowly) why this cannot be sorted
> like this (0 = success, 1 = trouble, the more significant the 1's,
> the more trouble):

The numbers work properly IFF they are the high bits of a signed
quantity. e.g. SUCCESS and INFO are > 0, and the others are < 0.

So yes... they do sort properly. With the added benefit of
success/failure determined by a simple sign test.

If WARNING shouldn't be a "failure", then you can just shift the numbers
around some.

Cheers,
-g

--